Monday, October 04, 2004

To Infinity and Beyond

It's done. It's accomplished. Private space flight is now open to the rest of us. The indomitable human spirit of invention has succeeded. Read: SpaceshipOne Wins the X-Prize.

You can read more about the X-Prize here: The Ansari X-Prize

And the company that accomplished it: Scaled Composites

I can not contain my enthusiasm. I feel as excited as when men first walked on the moon. I feel as excited as when the Columbia Space Shuttle first went into orbit. These actions inspired me to become an Aeronautical Engineer. These actions inspired me to want to go into space myself. Somewhere along the way, I lost that dream. Somewhere along the way, I took my eyes off the dream. Somewhere, something, no longer spoke to me.

But I feel elated. I feel inspired again. I am dreaming again. I love computers, but I love space even more. I love cars, but I love spaceships even more. NASA did not want to hire me. But NASA has taken her eyes of the prize. The future is for those privately funded efforts who are and will be taking chances. I want to be part of that. I want to take what I know and learn more and use it in this endeavor. Because this endeavor gives me hope like nothing else in the world today is giving me hope.

I am, today, rededicating myself to my original dream. It is the dream of space that woke me up and made me successful in school. It is this same stirring of years ago that I now feel in me. I want to be part of it. I want to be a dreamer again.

And maybe that's what society today is lacking. Maybe, we no longer have any dreams left and we need some new ones to inspire, to make us achieve.

So, all together then, let's say: "To Infinity, and Beyond".

1 comment:

Thomas Itty said...

Yes it does bring back the excitement of early space exploration.

Did you see them on Leno last night?

Good luck with your dreams.