Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Geneva 2008: Production Toyota iQ unveiled, smart in sight - Autoblog

Geneva 2008: Production Toyota iQ unveiled, smart in sight - Autoblog

Is it coming here? As gas prices continue to escalate, America's thirst for big SUV's and trucks has not subsided. If I could afford a new car, I would buy a much smaller one, but since I am currently unemployed, I barely impact the environment, heck, I am not driving at all! What I am currently driving has a V6, but is not really a gas guzzler as such.

But small cars fascinate me. For two reasons: Their form factor and and maneuverability. A lot of people complain that they can't cram their kids into the small cars and take them to soccer practice. That's balloney. Soccer (er..., futbol) moms in Europe have been doing that for ages without any difficulty. And small cars are just as safe as large cars. But how would small cars hold up in the battle against a large SUV. Well, if they are build pretty well, they should pretty well, but that is the wrong question. If everyone is driving a large SUV, then the battle is lost. But if everyone switches to a small car, then, there should be no problems.

Understand, I am no kind of environment activist, environment terrorist, or anything like that. What I am is sensible. And I look at gas prices going up and I wondering, when will people realize, there are no new oil deposits, we're running out of oil, these promised new technologies HAVE NOT materialized, Hybrids cost more to manufacture, operate and recycle than even a small car, so it is time... It is time to wake up and start living sensibly. Buy a smaller car. Buy a a four door sedan instead of an SUV. Buy a station wagon or small SUV. I lived and drove with a small hatchback for practically 12 years. I loved that car. And it got me 30 gallons to the mile. What's wrong with that?

So, Toyota, are you bringing this to the USA, and where can I get one?

No comments: