Thursday, November 18, 2004

Censorship in America

Troubling?

Censorship in America is alive and well. Here is a letter I wrote to my local ABC affiliate (and copied to ABC programming):

"Dear Michelle,

As a loyal viewer of Channel 2 (WKRN-TV) and numerous ABC programs (including "LOST"), I was very disappointed with the decision of Young Broadcasting and Channel 2 on 11 November 2004 to not broadcast "Saving Private Ryan". I have seen this movie a number of times, including the two previous times that Channel 2 broadcast it (as well as when it first came out in the theater), and I do not find it offensive.

I have a number of family members who are veterans and have participated in Wars (WWII and Korea), and my grandfather who retired as a general from the military and fought in WWI. They taught me that war is "hell" and not what some movies depict. "Saving Private Ryan" is a movie that very aptly depicts the tragedy and pain of war. Regardless of any language, or violence depicted, it accurately portrays what veterans experienced.

I am also saddened by your decision because it smacks of Censorship. Fortunately, we still live in a democracy, and any steps to censor or limit free speech like this MUST be met with resolve and resistance, otherwise we will travel down the slippery slope of thought control which quickly leads to Dictatorship. No, I do not want to live in a Dictatorship, as my parents escaped one to come to this country. And I try, where I can, to voice my support for free speech and democracy.

In fact, I would have written earlier this year, when you guys went OFF the air during the broadcast of "Nightline" in an episode where they read the names of dead soldiers in the War in Iraq. I think, this was a wonderful tribute, but as I tuned my TV to Channel 2 to watch it, the picture went OFF the air.

I am saddened and disappointed by the stance of Young Broadcasting and Channel 2 on these two programs. I feel that you have taken the first steps towards censorship and thought control of the audience. I will continue to support democracy and allowing ALL sides to be heard. Many have fought for that right, and it must be defended. I will also make sure to issue a complain to the FCC about the censorship your station has enforced on those two programs.

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,"


Does it matter? Yes! We must keep our voices heard, else Democracy will disappear from America, and then the rest of the World will join the US empire. It all matters.

No comments: