Thursday, November 18, 2004

Democracy is Dead in America

If you have not seen (or heard) this story, you must:

U.S. Detainee Abuse Cases Fall Through the Cracks.

It makes for some interesting reading (or listening, if you caught the story on NPR). This is not a sign of the apocalypse, but yet, it is troubling, that this country that values the law, order, human rights, civil rights, can just do this to anybody. This is why I am against the Patriot Act, and why, as a first step, I am considering moving to a blue state.

Am I afraid for my life and my freedom here in the midst of "Red America"? You bet your sweet life, I am.

I am afraid to speak. I have already had people here, in my workplace, laugh at me because I voted for Kerry. Imagine that! Laughing at somebody because of how they voted.

Yes, this is the America we live in, this is the country that is trying to force Democracy on the rest of the World, and YET, does not practice Democracy at home.

I am afraid....
...a lot more was lost in the election than the presidency;
...civil rights will disappear;
...the Christian jihad will go after anyone who does not believe like they do;
...And, that the 59 million Americans will harass and punish the other 56 million of us.

I am afraid that it all matters and we're in serious trouble in America.

Act, do something, get involved, don't let this happen.

No comments: