Thursday, September 30, 2004

Debate over

Well, I've made up my mind. How about you? Yes, I know, it's hard to believe that someone who writes here could actually be undecided. Honestly? I probably decided I didn't like this president when I could not find a job after 9/11, when my unemployment run out, and then my extension run out, and then my kind of job went oversees, and then I lost my health insurance AND when this administration decided to attack another sovereign country that had not attacked us... I could go on. I just wanted to be sure that John Kerry could lead. He can.

You might ask, if you're so sure about the lies, why would you be undecided about booting the liar out of office? Excellent point. I concede it. Would I have preferred Howard Dean or Wesley Clark? I don't know. I just wanted someone that could beat Bush. I think Kerry can do that, but he must do a couple of things also:

Bush and the republicans, continue to lie. I wish that John Kerry will flat out call George W. Bush a liar. He did not mislead us into war. He flat out lied us into a war. This is Imperial Hubris (a book, I am by the way, currently reading -- yes, I know, I am a prolific reader -- One day soon, I'll even post reviews on this blog). Kerry should not be afraid to use the "L" word.

You know, the last President who was accused of lying was almost impeached.

Second, John Kerry must not be afraid to stand up to the withering attacks from the soundbites. Bush kept repeating, "the wrong war, at the wrong time, at the wrong place". I have never heard Kerry use that, but even if he did, he's right. The problem is that the spin machine takes these soundbites and twists them. Most people will not (either because they can't, or because they don't want to) think hard enough to see past that deception.

Bottom line. John Kerry said the right things, was consistent and he delivered what I wanted to hear from him. But that is the crux of the problem. Did he deliver with other people, and especially with those who have been lied to by the current administration? I sure hope so, because if he didn't, we have to face four more years of a regime that is bent on oppressing its own people, lying to them, and engaging in foreign wars. Sound familiar? Yes, I am talking about the USA.

No comments: